Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pagaents

I have always been secretly fascinated by pageants. And not the silly ones where only the prettiest girl wins but has nothing between her ears (Miss USA, thank you Mr. Trump) but the ones where the girls have to be mildly intelligent, talented, and make significant contributions to society on top of being able to walk around on stage in a bathing suit with smile on their faces. (The Miss America Pageant) No I have never wanted to compete and God knows if I ever have a daughter I will lock her up before I would do that to her. But I've always loved watching them. I like to pick my favorite from the beginning and cheer for her to win. I also love calling them by their state. Example, " I really hope Texas doesn't win her hair is too big, but I like Iowa's smile."
Below is a picture of me with a family friend who was Mrs. Colorado. I got to go watch her compete and win. This is probably when my fascination began.

(Yes I always smiled like that, I thought it made me look sophisticated, kind of like Princess Diana. I have since figured a few things out)


When I lived in Las Vegas I was given the opportunity to work on the Miss America pageant and jumped at it! It was so exciting to see what goes on back stage. I love that even today, those girls have chaperons everywhere they go and all the entourage that travels with each girl. Here is Miss Pennsylvania (in the red dress) sporting my make-up. She won the Bathing Suit Competition but sadly didn't make it all the way.

1 comment:

Chip Lusko said...

wow - what a flashback- seeing a pic of you and Connie- she was a receptionist when I worked at KXRM-Fox 21. Her husband was a youth pastor.